In Ephesians 5:3-20 Paul tells the believers in Ephesus how to act as children of light. Since their natural appetites are destructive, they are to learn to say, “no” to them. Instead, Paul calls them to allow the Holy Spirit place in their lives to direct them. While the old nature leads believers to lives of dissipation, the Spirit’s guidance leads believers’ hearts to songs of thanksgiving to God.
Questions for Reflection
- Have you ever met a person whose goodness caused you to think differently about your own actions? What was it about that person that impressed you the most?
- What sorts of destructive behaviours do you see people trying to excuse in today’s culture?
- What message does the church (in general) send to the world about who God is by the way we behave? In what ways could we change our behaviour to better reflect God’s heart?
More In This Sermon Series
1. Blessed and Adopted (Ephesians 1:3-14)
2. Understanding the Authority of Jesus (Ephesians 1:15-23)
3. From Death To Life (Ephesians 2:1-10)
4. Diversity Without Hostility (Ephesians 2:11-22)
5. A Message of Wisdom (Ephesians 3:1-13)
6. The Fullness of God (Ephesians 3:14-21)
7. The Bond of Unity (Ephesians 4:1-16)
8. Becoming Truly Human (Ephesians 4:17-24)
9. Building A Strong Church Community