The Fullness of God
In Ephesians 3:14-21, Paul finishes the theological section in his letter by praying for the church to receive the fullness of God. He has three requests on behalf of the church.
- That the church would be filled with the Spirit
- So that the church can know God experientially
- So that the church can represent the fullness of God
The church’s ministry must begin with God’s Spirit empowering it to know the God of love. That way it can represent Jesus in the places where it lives. But there is no program to bring the Spirit’s empowering. Instead, we must commit ourselves to prayer and patient waiting, trusting that God is able to do more than we ask.
Questions for Reflection
- Have I never tried to live a Godly life in my own strength? What was the result?
- Can I think of and describe a specific time when I experienced God in surprising ways? What effect did it have?
- How does my understanding of God different from the understanding of others around me?
- How do you imagine your life would look different if you were filled with the fullness of God?
- Am I afraid to ask God for things? If so, why?
See More sermons from this series